Wednesday 30 November 2022

"I have every confidence in the dealer"


Uh-oh.
quam-antiquum Nov 30 #97668
I bought this piece about a month ago as a Moche vessel. I have every confidence in the dealer I purchased it from and trust that it is indeed ancient, but I can't find any analog for it in Moche art and culture. Could someone help me identify this, or perhaps point me to other examples that I haven't been able to find? Is there a name for vessels of this type?
The dealer is not named, nor (red flag) is any mention made of collection history/documentation. Reply from other forum member:
PeregrineNov 30 #97669 It looks a lot like an African pipe bowl; follow link for examples: https://pipemuseum.nl/en/de-graslanden-van-kameroen
Mmmm. And indeed it is. And not necessarily "ancient". This was an example of a "trusted" dealer that knows his or her stuff, eh? Where do they pluck their cultural attributions from? Thin air? And collectors, do they really know what they are doing, actually? 


No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Ten utwór jest dostępny na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Unported.