Tuesday 26 March 2024

Scholar Did not Have His Day in Court


The wheels of justice turn slowly, on November 30, 2021 a document was submitted to Oklahoma Western District Court concerning the issue of a judgement in the case of default in the civil process for breach of contract in "Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. v. Obbink" ("It appearing from the docket maintained in this action that defendant Dirk D. Obbink has failed to appear or otherwise defend this action, the default of defendant Dirk D. Obbink is hereby noted"). There is now a judgement:
DEFAULT JUDGMENT : Judgment is hereby entered in favor of Plaintiff Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. and against Defendant Dirk D. Obbink, in the amount of $7,085,100.00, together with prejudgment interest from February 5, 2013, at the rate of 6% per annum, as specified in 15 Okla. Stat.§ 266, postjudgment interest at the rate provided in 28 U.S.C § 1961 until the judgment is satisfied, and attorneys fees and costs. Signed by Judge David L. Russell on 03/11/2024.
Ouch. Note to self, academics really should not get mixed up in the antiquities trade, they should steer well away from it.

I believe this comment from autumn 2019 is the last statement by the scholar on the matter:
"“The allegations made against me that I have stolen, removed or sold items owned by the Egyptian Exploration Society collection at the University of Oxford are entirely false,” he stated. “I would never betray the trust of my colleagues and the values which I have sought to protect and uphold throughout my academic career in the way that has been alleged.
“I am aware that there are documents being used against me which I believe have been fabricated in a malicious attempt to harm my reputation and career. I am working with my legal team in this regard.”
I'd say not turning up in court to refute/falsify the allegations would in itself be an pretty big blow to his reputation, and let us see what it does to his career.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Ten utwór jest dostępny na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Unported.