Tuesday 30 June 2009

When on Google Earth 61

The coineys like to pretend that "archaeologist Barford knows nothing about ancient coins" which is as illogical as it is presumptuous and insulting. As it happens, it was me and not they who solved the sixtieth WOGE on Nathan Elkins' "Numismatics and Archaeology" blog, and answered the additional numismatic question related to it.

So here is WOGE 61, it is connected in a not-so roundabout way with the topic of a recent post here, so in addition to the usual stuff incorportated in the rules of this game, I'd like to hear from the winner the connection they perceive.

North is at the top, the frame here is about 350 metres across. Colours more or less 'as is', though rendered a little more contrasty to pick out some of the features.


In this game heap-of-loose-ancient- coins-on-a-table numismatists or absolvents of the ACE program[me] can also take part ( apart from Nathan I do not recall there being numismatist or a (declared) ancient dugup coin collector among the winners , I stand to be corrected). So, Mr Tompa, Sayles, Welsh all the rest of you who pretend not to be reading this blog, let's hear from you. It should not be at all difficult for you.
.

7 comments:

Nathan Elkins said...

me? ancient dug up collector?

Paul Barford said...

Oops, poor phrasing, I wanted to get it up quickly before going out this morning. You are as far as I now the only numismatist who has won, and would like to invite all those people who say collecting dugups helps them learn aout the past to join in too.

I'm hoping nobody gets it, as on the bus I thought up a cracking cryptic clue....

Heather said...

The settlement on Delos, a small Cycladic island best known for its major sanctuary of Apollo which housed the treasury of the Delian league down to 454 BC. The island is a World Heritage site, with occupation from Neolithic down to 6th century AD but famous for its Classical remains.

As for a connection with this blog, all I think of is that Cycladic sculptures have been discussed on previous posts.

Paul Barford said...

Delos it is Heather, well done, you beat the coin collectors. BUT.... you are not done yet...

...the connection is NOT with any "Cycladic sculptures" (you are confusing this blog with "Looting Matters") but in order to have full bragging rights you have to tell us the connection with some recent posts (like one I made a few hours ago)... You may ask a numismatist or Mr Google to help you.

But well done, I did not even have time to employ my cryptic clue

Heather said...

Don't know any numismatists ... I still can't grasp the connection you are after, except for the numerous general references on your blog to Greece in its role as a major 'exporter' of portable antiquities. But I'm afraid current commitments in my day job mean that I can't look into this any further.

Paul Barford said...

Don't know any coin collectors? You lucky girl. OK, I'll let you off the hook, in fact I see you were almost there. So we look forward to seeing WOGE 62 over at your place.

Meanwhile, open to suggestions about connections....

Heather said...

Thanks, Paul - here is the link to
WOGE 62.
Have fun ...

 
Creative Commons License
Ten utwór jest dostępny na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Unported.