Saturday 13 August 2016

Landowners, Beware of Metal Detecting Scammers


A day after my discussion of the 23-quid "Roman grots", Heritage Action's Farmer Brown warns other landowners to be wary of the metal detectorists
Last Sunday a bloke offered me £500 to allow a detecting rally in my top field! I asked him what he thought they might find. “Nothing probably” he said, “we’re only interested in history – but if any treasure comes up you’ll get half”. Talk like that should trigger alarm bells for any farmer. The truth is that 99.95% of the saleable artefacts they find aren’t treasure items so I was being offered only 0.025% of what they found and they were going to keep 99.975%. In MY bloody field!
More here.

Vignette: Courtesy Silas Brown,

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Ten utwór jest dostępny na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Unported.